Construction of this palatine chapel, with its octagonal basilica and cupola, began c. 790–800 under the Emperor Charlemagne. Originally inspired by the churches of the Eastern part of the Holy Roman Empire, it was splendidly enlarged in the Middle Ages.
- The Aachen Cathedral is the oldest cathedral in northern Europe and was known as the “Royal Church of St. Mary at Aachen” during the Middle Ages.
- For 600 years, from 936 to 1531, the Aachen chapel was the church of coronation for 30 German kings and 12 queens.
- Aachen cathedral uses two distinct architectural styles. First, the Palace Chapel of Charlemagne was modeled after San Vitale at Ravenna. It is considered to be Carolingian-Romanesque. Then there is the choir, which is Gothic architecture.
- The vault containing Charlemagne’s remains was opened by later kings in 1000 by Otto, 1165 by Emperor Frederick Barbarossa and finally by Frederick II in 1215.
Year of Inscription: 1978
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Aachen Cathedral! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Aachen Cathedral .https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/aachen-cathedral/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/21202027/aachen-cathedral-germany.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/21202027/aachen-cathedral-germany-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Aachen Cathedral
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Aachen Cathedral View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Aachen Cathedral View all
Recommendations for Aachen Cathedral
Trivia from Aachen Cathedral
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Aachen Cathedral?
Events at or near Aachen Cathedral
Know any events coming up at Aachen Cathedral?List an event