In a mountainous site of extraordinary beauty, the ruins of the first capital of the Hammadid emirs, founded in 1007 and demolished in 1152, provide an authentic picture of a fortified Muslim city. The mosque, whose prayer room has 13 aisles with eight bays, is one of the largest in Algeria.
- The architechture of the city includes a 7 km long line of walls, several buildings inside them and a mosque with a minaret 20m tall. The mosque is one of the largest in Algeria. Its prayer room has 13 aisles with eight bays.
- This was the first capital of the Hammadi emirs and it was founded in 1007 and destroyed in 1152.
- The palace of the Hammadid emirs is quite complex as it is made up of three residences separated by gardens, pavilions and cisterns. Two reasons make this a site of great importance – the ruins bear witness to a cultural tradition of the Islamic civilization and the site provides an authentic example of a fortified Muslim city.
Year of Inscription: 1980
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Al Qal’a of Beni Hammad! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Al Qal’a of Beni Hammad.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/al-qala-of-beni-hammad/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115129/8507074729_61d3a44b5c_b-768x1024.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115129/8507074729_61d3a44b5c_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Al Qal’a of Beni Hammad
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Al Qal’a of Beni Hammad? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Al Qal’a of Beni Hammad
No photos here yet. Have you been to Al Qal’a of Beni Hammad?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Al Qal’a of Beni Hammad
Have you been to Al Qal’a of Beni Hammad? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Al Qal’a of Beni Hammad
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Al Qal’a of Beni Hammad? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Al Qal’a of Beni Hammad
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Al Qal’a of Beni Hammad?
Events at or near Al Qal’a of Beni Hammad
Know any events coming up at Al Qal’a of Beni Hammad?List an event