Wine has been produced by traditional landholders in the Alto Douro region for some 2,000 years. Since the 18th century, its main product, port wine, has been world famous for its quality. This long tradition of viticulture has produced a cultural landscape of outstanding beauty that reflects its technological, social and economic evolution.
Why should you visit?
- The Alto Douro Region has been producing wine for nearly two thousand years and its landscape has been moulded by human activities.
- The components of the Alto Douro landscape are representative of the full range of activities association with winemaking – terraces, quintas (wine-producing farm complexes), villages, chapels, and roads. Criterion v The cultural landscape of the Alto Douro is an outstanding example of a traditional European wine-producing region, reflecting the evolution of this human activity over time.
Year of Inscription: 2001
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Alto Douro Wine Region! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Alto Douro Wine Region.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/alto-douro-wine-region/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/20211534/alto-douro.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/20211534/alto-douro-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Alto Douro Wine Region
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Alto Douro Wine Region View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Alto Douro Wine Region View all
Recommendations for Alto Douro Wine Region
- Graham's Lodge - Trailblazer
Trivia from Alto Douro Wine Region
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Alto Douro Wine Region?
Events at or near Alto Douro Wine Region
Know any events coming up at Alto Douro Wine Region?List an event