Situated on a rocky peninsula on the Black Sea, the more than 3,000-year-old site of Nessebar was originally a Thracian settlement (Menebria). At the beginning of the 6th century BC, the city became a Greek colony. The city’s remains, which date mostly from the Hellenistic period, include the acropolis, a temple of Apollo, an agora and a wall from the Thracian fortifications. Among other monuments, the Stara Mitropolia Basilica and the fortress date from the Middle Ages, when this was one of the most important Byzantine towns on the west coast of the Black Sea. Wooden houses built in the 19th century are typical of the Black Sea architecture of the period.
- The town was established more than 3200 years ago and is one of the oldest places in Europe.
- If you are up for a higher level of adventure you can take a helicopter ride over the town of Nessebar.
- Nessebar was originally called Mesambria.
Year of Inscription: 1983
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Ancient City of Nessebar! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Ancient City of Nessebar.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/ancient-city-of-nessebar/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115142/2848197308_4f6a0e0ee2_b-1024x621.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115142/2848197308_4f6a0e0ee2_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Ancient City of Nessebar
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Ancient City of Nessebar View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Ancient City of Nessebar View all
Recommendations for Ancient City of Nessebar
Trivia from Ancient City of Nessebar
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Ancient City of Nessebar?
Events at or near Ancient City of Nessebar
Know any events coming up at Ancient City of Nessebar?List an event