The Area de Conservación Guanacaste (inscribed in 1999), was extended with the addition of a 15,000 ha private property, St Elena. It contains important natural habitats for the conservation of biological diversity, including the best dry forest habitats from Central America to northern Mexico and key habitats for endangered or rare plant and animal species. The site demonstrates significant ecological processes in both its terrestrial and marine-coastal environments.
- This tropical dry forest is one of the most endangered habitats in the tropics. There are several volcanoes out here that visitors can explore, the most notable being the Rincon de la Vieja, which has three craters and one lagoon. It last erupted in 1970, but fumarole activity still occurs in one of the craters.
- Along the coast of Naranjo and Nancite thousands of turtles come ashore during nesting season to lay eggs. These species include leatherback, hawksbill, and olive ridley turtles – the most prominent in this area.
- The wetland forests out here are considered to be among the most pristine in the world.
Year of Inscription: 1999
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Area de Conservación Guanacaste! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Area de Conservación Guanacaste.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/area-de-conservacion-guanacaste/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27062342/8586472305_eeef8562ef_b-1024x683.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27062342/8586472305_eeef8562ef_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Area de Conservación Guanacaste
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Area de Conservación Guanacaste? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Area de Conservación Guanacaste View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Area de Conservación Guanacaste View all
Recommendations for Area de Conservación Guanacaste
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Area de Conservación Guanacaste? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Area de Conservación Guanacaste
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Area de Conservación Guanacaste?
Events at or near Area de Conservación Guanacaste
Know any events coming up at Area de Conservación Guanacaste?List an event