Inhabited since prehistoric times, Butrint has been the site of a Greek colony, a Roman city and a bishopric. Following a period of prosperity under Byzantine administration, then a brief occupation by the Venetians, the city was abandoned in the late Middle Ages after marshes formed in the area. The present archaeological site is a repository of ruins representing each period in the city’s development.
- Virgil, an ancient Roman poet, claimed that the Trojans settled Butrint, but no evidence of this has yet been found.
- In 1799, the local Ottoman governor Ali Pasha Tepelena conquered Butrint, and it became a part of the empire until Albanian independence in 1912. By that time, the site of the original city had been unoccupied for centuries and was surrounded by malarial marshes.
- Butrint is an ancient Greek and later a Roman city in Epirus which was abandoned during the Middle Ages after a major earthquake flooded most of the city.
Year of Inscription: 1992
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Butrint! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Butrint.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/butrint/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115129/5934718875_ca4d0d1ce1_b-1024x768.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115129/5934718875_ca4d0d1ce1_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Butrint
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Butrint? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Butrint View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Butrint View all
Recommendations for Butrint
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Butrint? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Butrint
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Butrint?
Events at or near Butrint
Know any events coming up at Butrint?List an event