The Churches of Chiloé represent a unique example in Latin America of an outstanding form of ecclesiastical wooden architecture. They represent a tradition initiated by the Jesuit Peripatetic Mission in the 17th and 18th centuries, continued and enriched by the Franciscans during the 19th century and still prevailing today. These churches embody the intangible richness of the Chiloé Archipelago, and bear witness to a successful fusion of indigenous and European culture, the full integration of its architecture in the landscape and environment, as well as to the spiritual values of the communities.
Why should you visit?
- The churches of Chiloé are outstanding examples of the successful fusion of European and indigenous cultural traditions to produce a unique form of wooden architecture.
- The mestizo culture resulting from Jesuit missionary activities in the 17th and 18th centuries has survived intact in the Chiloé archipelago, and achieves its highest expression in the outstanding wooden churches.
Year of Inscription: 2000
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Churches of Chiloé! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Churches of Chiloé.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/churches-of-chiloe/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115146/5339732149_7bb380cda2.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115146/5339732149_7bb380cda2-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Churches of Chiloé
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Churches of Chiloé? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Churches of Chiloé
No photos here yet. Have you been to Churches of Chiloé?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Churches of Chiloé
Have you been to Churches of Chiloé? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Churches of Chiloé
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Churches of Chiloé? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Churches of Chiloé
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Churches of Chiloé?
Events at or near Churches of Chiloé
Know any events coming up at Churches of Chiloé?List an event