Cocos Island National Park, located 550 km off the Pacific coast of Costa Rica, is the only island in the tropical eastern Pacific with a tropical rainforest. Its position as the first point of contact with the northern equatorial counter-current, and the myriad interactions between the island and the surrounding marine ecosystem, make the area an ideal laboratory for the study of biological processes. The underwater world of the national park has become famous due to the attraction it holds for divers, who rate it as one of the best places in the world to view large pelagic species such as sharks, rays, tuna and dolphins.
Why you should visit
The Committee inscribed Cocos Island National Park provides critical habitats for marine wildlife including large pelagic species, especially sharks.
- Cocos Island was used by pirates to stash treasure from the 1600s through the 1800s.
- It takes about 30 hours to reach the island from mainland Costa Rica, and tourists and scientists are not allowed to camp or stay overnight. In fact, they can only come ashore with approval from park rangers.
- The waters around Cocos Island are some of the most shark-rich in the world
Year of Inscription: 1997
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Cocos Island National Park! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Cocos Island National Park.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/cocos-island-national-park/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115153/3701429772_685e3fa788_b-1024x768.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115153/3701429772_685e3fa788_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Cocos Island National Park
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Cocos Island National Park? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Cocos Island National Park
No photos here yet. Have you been to Cocos Island National Park?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Cocos Island National Park
Have you been to Cocos Island National Park? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Cocos Island National Park
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Cocos Island National Park? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Cocos Island National Park
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Cocos Island National Park?
Events at or near Cocos Island National Park
Know any events coming up at Cocos Island National Park?List an event