Seven timber houses are listed in this site located in the east of Sweden, representing the zenith of a regional timber building tradition that dates back to the Middle Ages. They reflect the prosperity of independent farmers who in the 19th century used their wealth to build substantial new homes with elaborately decorated ancillary houses or suites of rooms reserved for festivities. The paintings represent a fusion of folk art with the styles favoured by the landed gentry of the time, including Baroque and Rococo. Decorated by painters, including known and unknown itinerant artists, the listed properties represent the final flowering of a long cultural tradition.
Why should you visit the Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland?
- The selected decorative farmhouses of Hälsingland represent an outstanding collection of some 1,000 well preserved farmhouses with around 400 decorative rooms still in situ.
- The density of intact preserved decorated rooms is unparalleled within the entire Northern Taiga.
- The seven selected farms, dating from 1800 to 1870 which constitute the peak of this cultural expression, are outstanding examples of how independent farmers within a small geographical area combined a highly developed building tradition with a rich folk art tradition in the form of decoratively painted interiors in rooms used for celebrations.
- These decorated farms bear witness to a culture that has disappeared today but has been preserved in an exceptional way.
Year of Inscription: 2012
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/decorated-farmhouses-of-halsingland/
Travel Info for Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland
No photos here yet. Have you been to Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland
Have you been to Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland?
Events at or near Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland
Know any events coming up at Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland?List an event