Derwent Valley Mills
- Points 100
- Region United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Europe and North America
- More Info - UNESCO
The Derwent Valley in central England contains a series of 18th- and 19th- century cotton mills and an industrial landscape of high historical and technological interest. The modern factory owes its origins to the mills at Cromford, where Richard Arkwright’s inventions were first put into industrial-scale production. The workers’ housing associated with this and the other mills remains intact and illustrate the socio-economic development of the area.
Why should you travel to Derwent Valley Mills?
- The Derwent Valley saw the birth of the factory system, when new types of building were erected to house the new technology for spinning cotton developed by Richard Arkwright in the early 19th century.
- In the Derwent Valley for the first time there was large-scale industrial production in a hitherto rural landscape. The need to provide housing and other facilities for workers and managers resulted in the creation of the first modern industrial towns.
Year of Inscription: 2001
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Derwent Valley Mills! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Derwent Valley Mills.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/derwent-valley-mills/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115333/7263623016_257fd8065c_b-680x1024.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115333/7263623016_257fd8065c_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Derwent Valley Mills
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Derwent Valley Mills View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Derwent Valley Mills View all
Recommendations for Derwent Valley Mills
- The new Gateway centre which has recently opened. The Richard Arkwright Experience. Also a tour - the guide was fantastic and so knowledgeable - Tracy Collins
Trivia from Derwent Valley Mills
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Derwent Valley Mills?
Events at or near Derwent Valley Mills
Know any events coming up at Derwent Valley Mills?List an event