Pattadakal, in Karnataka, represents the high point of an eclectic art which, in the 7th and 8th centuries under the Chalukya dynasty, achieved a harmonious blend of architectural forms from northern and southern India. An impressive series of nine Hindu temples, as well as a Jain sanctuary, can be seen there. One masterpiece from the group stands out – the Temple of Virupaksha, built c. 740 by Queen Lokamahadevi to commemorate her husband’s victory over the kings from the South.
Year of Inscription: 1987https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/group-of-monuments-at-pattadakal/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115217/Pattadkal-monuments2-1024x768.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115217/Pattadkal-monuments2-150x150.jpgajay,travel,world heritage travel
Travel Info for Group of Monuments at Pattadakal
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Group of Monuments at Pattadakal View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Group of Monuments at Pattadakal View all
Recommendations for Group of Monuments at Pattadakal
- do visit nearby Badami cave temples and Aihole monuments - ALKA KAUSHIK
- Only one Temple is there, but it is very huge place to round, at-least it will take a day if you enjoy the architecture and photography - Bala Subramanian P
- Grandeur of Virupaksha temple and the different hairstyles are sculpted for men and women - Girija Harish
- must visit Badami and Aiole while visiting pattadakal - Prasun Bheri
Trivia from Group of Monuments at Pattadakal
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Group of Monuments at Pattadakal?
Events at or near Group of Monuments at Pattadakal
Know any events coming up at Group of Monuments at Pattadakal?List an event