Known as the gateway to the desert, Agadez, on the southern edge of the Sahara desert, developed in the 15th and 16th centuries when the Sultanate of Aïr was established and Touareg tribes were sedentarized in the city, respecting the boundaries of old encampments, which gave rise to a street pattern still in place today. The historic centre of the city, an important crossroads of the caravan trade, is divided into 11 quarters with irregular shapes. They contains numerous earthen dwellings and a well-preserved group of palatial and religious buildings including a 27m high minaret made entirely of mud brick, the highest such structure in the world. The site is marked by ancestral cultural, commercial and handicraft traditions still practiced today and presents exceptional and sophisticated examples of earthen architecture.
- Agadez was a key passage for the medieval caravans trading between the West African cities of Kano and Timbuktu and the North African oases of Ghat, Ghadames, and Tripoli, on the Mediterranean shore.
- Agadez was the farthermost point of the Ottoman Empire in the African continent until the 19th century before being occupied by the French colonial empire.
- Today, Agadez is a centre for the transportation of the uranium mined in the surrounding area.
Year of Inscription: 2013
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Aflaj Irrigation Systems of Oman! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Aflaj Irrigation Systems of Oman.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/historic-centre-of-agadez/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/22093631/6176259161_1a32b3332b_b-700x1024.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/22093631/6176259161_1a32b3332b_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Historic Centre of Agadez
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Historic Centre of Agadez? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Historic Centre of Agadez
No photos here yet. Have you been to Historic Centre of Agadez?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Historic Centre of Agadez
Have you been to Historic Centre of Agadez? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Historic Centre of Agadez
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Historic Centre of Agadez? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Historic Centre of Agadez
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Historic Centre of Agadez?
Events at or near Historic Centre of Agadez
Know any events coming up at Historic Centre of Agadez?List an event