Riga was a major centre of the Hanseatic League, deriving its prosperity in the 13th–15th centuries from the trade with central and eastern Europe. The urban fabric of its medieval centre reflects this prosperity, though most of the earliest buildings were destroyed by fire or war. Riga became an important economic centre in the 19th century, when the suburbs surrounding the medieval town were laid out, first with imposing wooden buildings in neoclassical style and then in Jugendstil . It is generally recognized that Riga has the finest collection of art nouveau buildings in Europe.
The Committee decided to inscribe this property on the basis of criteria (i) and (ii), considering that the historic centre of Riga, while retaining its medieval and later urban fabric relatively intact, is of outstanding universal value by virtue of the quality and the quantity of its Art Nouveau/Jugendstil architecture, which is unparalleled anywhere in the world, and its 19th century architecture in wood.
Year of Inscription: 1997
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Historic Centre of Riga! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Historic Centre of Riga.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/historic-centre-of-riga/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/29060455/Trumpeter-Riga-Latvia.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/29060455/Trumpeter-Riga-Latvia-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Historic Centre of Riga
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Historic Centre of Riga View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Historic Centre of Riga View all
Recommendations for Historic Centre of Riga
- Lido restauratnt with local Latvian food, St. Peters Church, Art Nouveau district, Riga Old Town, Jurmala beach, Riga Free Walking Tour, Creative Quarters: Spikeri, Andrejsala, Miera iela, Kalnciema iela - Julie Sve
- The art nouveau buildings on Alberta Street - Tom Bartel
- The Art Nouveau architecture - Anne-Sophie Redisch
Trivia from Historic Centre of Riga
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Historic Centre of Riga?
Events at or near Historic Centre of Riga
Know any events coming up at Historic Centre of Riga?List an event