The island of Gorée lies off the coast of Senegal, opposite Dakar. From the 15th to the 19th century, it was the largest slave-trading centre on the African coast. Ruled in succession by the Portuguese, Dutch, English and French, its architecture is characterized by the contrast between the grim slave-quarters and the elegant houses of the slave traders. Today it continues to serve as a reminder of human exploitation and as a sanctuary for reconciliation.
- The island is famed for its history of slave trade even though whether or not the place holds any importance signficance in the brutal history of African slavery is hotly debated.
- The biggestion tourist attraction is the House of Slaves which is a meuseum and memorial to the Atlantic slave trade. It was curated by the late Boubacar Joseph Ndiaye.
- Only 20 minutes by ferry from the city centre of Dakar, 200,000 visitors a year pass through the Museum here.
Year of Inscription: 1978
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Island of Gorée! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Island of Gorée.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/island-of-goree/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115305/5555753768_7c2ef56b7b.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115305/5555753768_7c2ef56b7b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Island of Gorée
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Island of Gorée View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Island of Gorée View all
Recommendations for Island of Gorée
- The door of no return - Gary Arndt
Trivia from Island of Gorée
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Island of Gorée?
Events at or near Island of Gorée
Know any events coming up at Island of Gorée?List an event