The town and its low line of buildings set among coconut and mango trees along the beach front was the first colonial capital of Fiji, ceded to the British in 1874. It developed from the early 19th century as a centre of commercial activity by Americans and Europeans who built warehouses, stores, port facilities, residences, and religious, educational and social institutions around the villages of the South Pacific island’s indigenous population. It is a rare example of a late colonial port town that was influenced in its development by the indigenous community which continued to outnumber the European settlers. Thus the town, an outstanding example of late 19th century Pacific port settlements, reflects the integration of local building traditions by a supreme naval power, leading to the emergence of a unique landscape.
- Levuka is famous for many of Fiji’s “firsts.” It was the site of Fiji’s first bank, post office, school, private members club, hospital, town hall, and municipal government.
- The village chief of the traditional Fijian village of Levuka bears the title of Tui Levuka, and is a direct descendant of the chief who welcomed the first European settlers.
- Levuka was a stopover port for ocean vessels crossing the Pacific until the 1950s.
Year of Inscription: 2013
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Levuka Historical Port Town! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Levuka Historical Port Town.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/levuka-historical-port-town/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/23122223/88347261_d6664c1942_b-1024x768.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/23122223/88347261_d6664c1942_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Levuka Historical Port Town
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Levuka Historical Port Town? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Levuka Historical Port Town
No photos here yet. Have you been to Levuka Historical Port Town?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Levuka Historical Port Town
Have you been to Levuka Historical Port Town? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Levuka Historical Port Town
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Levuka Historical Port Town? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Levuka Historical Port Town
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Levuka Historical Port Town?
Events at or near Levuka Historical Port Town
Know any events coming up at Levuka Historical Port Town?List an event