The cultural landscape of Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley offers a microcosmic perspective of the way people have harvested the resources of the high Pyrenees over millennia. Its dramatic glacial landscapes of craggy cliffs and glaciers, with high open pastures and steep wooded valleys, covers an area of 4,247 ha, 9% of the total area of the principality. It reflects past changes in climate, economic fortune and social systems, as well as the persistence of pastoralism and a strong mountain culture, notably the survival of a communal land-ownership system dating back to the 13th century. The site features houses, notably summer settlements, terraced fields, stone tracks and evidence of iron smelting.
Why should you visit Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley?
The Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley is a microcosm of the way its inhabitants have harvested the scarce resources of the high Pyrenees over the past millennia to create a sustainable living environment in harmony with the mountain landscape. The Valley is a reflection of an ancient communal system of land management that has survived for over 700 years.
- Besides being a breathtaking site the valley gives a microcosmic view of how mankind harvested the resources of the high Pyrenees over millennia.
- The valley covers an area of 42.47 km², approximately 9% of the total area of Andorra, and is part of the second largest watershed basin in Andorra.
- 12 houses account for the two small settlements, Entremesaigües and Ramio, which are situated in the narrow valley floor. Both were year-round settlements until the last 50 years, but both are now occupied only in the summer.
Year of Inscription: 2004
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/madriu-perafita-claror-valley/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115130/8300693615_ede3d9752f_b-1024x683.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115130/8300693615_ede3d9752f_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley View all
Recommendations for Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley
- Panoramic View from Engolasters - Trailblazer
Trivia from Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley?
Events at or near Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley
Know any events coming up at Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley?List an event