The enormous mining excavation known as the Great Pit at Falun is the most striking feature of a landscape that illustrates the activity of copper production in this region since at least the 13th century. The 17th-century planned town of Falun with its many fine historic buildings, together with the industrial and domestic remains of a number of settlements spread over a wide area of the Dalarna region, provide a vivid picture of what was for centuries one of the world’s most important mining areas.
Why should you visit?
- Copper mining at Falun was influenced by German technology, but this was to become the major producer of copper in the 17th century and exercised a profound influence on mining technology in all parts of the world for two centuries.
- The entire Falun landscape is dominated by the remains of copper mining and production, which began as early as the 9th century and came to an end in the closing years of the 20th century.
- The successive stages in the economic and social evolution of the copper industry in the Falun region, from a form of “cottage industry” to full industrial production, can be seen in the abundant industrial, urban, and domestic remains characteristic of this industry that still survive.
Year of Inscription: 2001
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Mining Area of the Great Copper Mountain in Falun! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Mining Area of the Great Copper Mountain in Falun.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/mining-area-of-the-great-copper-mountain-in-falun/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115319/417405956_7d13e7d228_z.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115319/417405956_7d13e7d228_z-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Mining Area of the Great Copper Mountain in Falun
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Mining Area of the Great Copper Mountain in Falun View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Mining Area of the Great Copper Mountain in Falun View all
Recommendations for Mining Area of the Great Copper Mountain in Falun
- The miners' cottages - Anne-Sophie Redisch
Trivia from Mining Area of the Great Copper Mountain in Falun
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Mining Area of the Great Copper Mountain in Falun?
Events at or near Mining Area of the Great Copper Mountain in Falun
Know any events coming up at Mining Area of the Great Copper Mountain in Falun?List an event