The museum as a social phenomenon owes its origins to the Age of Enlightenment in the 18th century. The five museums on the Museumsinsel in Berlin, built between 1824 and 1930, are the realization of a visionary project and show the evolution of approaches to museum design over the course of the 20th century. Each museum was designed so as to establish an organic connection with the art it houses. The importance of the museum’s collections – which trace the development of civilizations throughout the ages – is enhanced by the urban and architectural quality of the buildings.
Criterion (ii):The Berlin Museumsinsel is a unique ensemble of museum buildings which illustrates the evolution of modern museum design over more than a century. Criterion (iv):The art museum is a social phenomenon that owes its origins to the Age of Enlightenment and its extension to all people to the French Revolution. The Museumsinsel is the most outstanding example of this concept given material form and a symbolic central urban setting.
Year of Inscription: 1999
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Museumsinsel (Museum Island), Berlin! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Museumsinsel (Museum Island), Berlin.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/museumsinsel-museum-island-berlin/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/15122321/SeeTheWorldInMyEyes-Dennis-Kopp-Germany-UNESCO-Altes-Museum-in-Berlin.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/15122321/SeeTheWorldInMyEyes-Dennis-Kopp-Germany-UNESCO-Altes-Museum-in-Berlin-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Museumsinsel (Museum Island), Berlin
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Museumsinsel (Museum Island), Berlin View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Museumsinsel (Museum Island), Berlin View all
Recommendations for Museumsinsel (Museum Island), Berlin
- The Pergamon museum is one of my favorite museums all over the world - Paul Marquardt
- Neues Museum, i really liked how old and new parts of the building come together - Loes Veldpaus
- Turkish food. Sunday local markets. - Julie Sve
- Pergamon Museum -
- The Pergamon Gate - Katherine Brownell
- The berlin cathedral - Arjun Bhatnagar
- Neues Museum - Dennis Kopp
- Pergamon Museum - Trailblazer
- Bust of Nefertiti in Neues Museum - Anne-Sophie Redisch
Trivia from Museumsinsel (Museum Island), Berlin
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Museumsinsel (Museum Island), Berlin?
Events at or near Museumsinsel (Museum Island), Berlin
Know any events coming up at Museumsinsel (Museum Island), Berlin?List an event