The 604,500 hectare marine and terrestrial property of Ningaloo Coast, on the remote western coast of Australia, includes one of the longest near-shore reefs in the world. On land the site features an extensive karst system and network of underground caves and water courses. Annual gatherings of whale sharks occur at Ningaloo Coast, which is home to numerous marine species, among them a wealth of sea turtles. The terrestrial part of the site features subterranean water bodies with a substantial network of caves, conduits, and groundwater streams. They support a variety of rare species that contribute to the exceptional biodiversity of the marine and terrestrial site.
- The Ningaloo Marine Park protects the world-famous Ningaloo Reef – Australia’s largest and most accessible fringing reef.
- One of the most spectacular features of this coast is the annual gatherings of whale sharks. Home to numerous marine species, the coast also boasts of a precious wealth of sea turtles.
- The main terrestrial feature of the Ningaloo Coast is the extensive karst system and network of underground caves and water courses of the Cape Range. The land around the coast is stern and rugged which is in sharp contrast to the ethereal beauty that lies just off the coast.
Year of Inscription: 2011
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Ningaloo Coast! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Ningaloo Coast.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/ningaloo-coast/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115133/4699630462_eb920e0d31_b-1024x768.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115133/4699630462_eb920e0d31_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Ningaloo Coast
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Ningaloo Coast View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Ningaloo Coast View all
Recommendations for Ningaloo Coast
- any coastal walk, all the lakes inland - ningaloo is more than diving! - Cathrin Eszbach
Trivia from Ningaloo Coast
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Ningaloo Coast?
Events at or near Ningaloo Coast
Know any events coming up at Ningaloo Coast?List an event