Located on the watershed of the Río Plátano, the reserve is one of the few remains of a tropical rainforest in Central America and has an abundant and varied plant and wildlife. In its mountainous landscape sloping down to the Caribbean coast, over 2,000 indigenous people have preserved their traditional way of life.
- The reserve still has over 200 archaological sites, including the point where Christopher Columbus first arrived in mainland America.
- In 1996 the reserve received the World Heritage in Danger designation, but was removed from the list in 2007 recognizing a significant improvement in conservation efforts.
Year of Inscription: 1982
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/rio-platano-biosphere-reserve/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115215/Rio-platano.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115215/Rio-platano-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve
No photos here yet. Have you been to Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve
Have you been to Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve?
Events at or near Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve
Know any events coming up at Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve?List an event