From 1625 to 1900, 12 kings succeeded one another at the head of the powerful Kingdom of Abomey. With the exception of King Akaba, who had his own separate enclosure, they all had their palaces built within the same cob-wall area, in keeping with previous palaces as regards the use of space and materials. The royal palaces of Abomey are a unique reminder of this vanished kingdom.
- Consisting of 12 palaces in the same enclosure this site is a lasting testimony to the powerful kingdom of the Fon people between 1625 to 1990.
- In 1985 the structure was inducted into both the World Heritage List as well as the List of World Heritage in Danger owing to a devastating tornado which struck in 1984 and severely damages the palace structure and the museum.
- The kingdom had a regiment of all female warriors called the “Dahomey Amazons”.
Year of Inscription: 1985
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Royal Palaces of Abomey! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Royal Palaces of Abomey.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/royal-palaces-of-abomey/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115137/1433600667_7235bd0b05.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115137/1433600667_7235bd0b05-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Royal Palaces of Abomey
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Royal Palaces of Abomey? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Royal Palaces of Abomey
No photos here yet. Have you been to Royal Palaces of Abomey?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Royal Palaces of Abomey
Have you been to Royal Palaces of Abomey? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Royal Palaces of Abomey
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Royal Palaces of Abomey? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Royal Palaces of Abomey
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Royal Palaces of Abomey?
Events at or near Royal Palaces of Abomey
Know any events coming up at Royal Palaces of Abomey?List an event