The 11,130m2 property, the first to be inscribed in the country, with its imposing stone walls is the best preserved of ten fortresses in the Lobi area and is part of a larger group of 100 stone enclosures that bear testimony to the power of the trans-Saharan gold trade. Situated near the borders of Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana and Togo, the ruins have recently been shown to be at least 1,000 years old. The settlement was occupied by the Lohron or Koulango peoples, who controlled the extraction and transformation of gold in the region when it reached its apogee from the 14th to the 17th century. Much mystery surrounds this site large parts of which have yet to be excavated. The settlement seems to have been abandoned during some periods during its long history. The property which was finally deserted in the early 19th century is expected to yield much more information.
- One of the few surviving ruins of West Africa.
- One of the oldest and best preserved structures of this region which also sports an impressive size with the walls going up as high as 7m marking off an area of 40m by 50m.
- Very little is known about the date of construction of this structure, who built it and what purpose it served. There is little agreement on this among historians.
Year of Inscription: 2009
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Ruins of Loropéni! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Ruins of Loropéni.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/ruins-of-loropeni/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27062142/3354153862_c040c8f9d2.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27062142/3354153862_c040c8f9d2-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Ruins of Loropéni
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Ruins of Loropéni? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Ruins of Loropéni
No photos here yet. Have you been to Ruins of Loropéni?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Ruins of Loropéni
Have you been to Ruins of Loropéni? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Ruins of Loropéni
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Ruins of Loropéni? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Ruins of Loropéni
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Ruins of Loropéni?
Events at or near Ruins of Loropéni
Know any events coming up at Ruins of Loropéni?List an event