On the shores of the Bay of Bengal, bathed in the rays of the rising sun, the temple at Konarak is a monumental representation of the sun god Surya’s chariot; its 24 wheels are decorated with symbolic designs and it is led by a team of six horses. Built in the 13th century, it is one of India’s most famous Brahman sanctuaries.
Festivals at Konark
- The “Konark Festival” held every year is a great attraction for cultural cognoscenti. The most popular and colourful festival of Konark, an occasion for a grand congregation of Indian pilgrims and enthusiasts from abroad, falls on the seventh day of the new moon of Magha.
- Chandrabhaga Mela is the most popular festival which fall in the month of February. This is a day specially set aside for the worship of the Sun God at Konark. In fact this is the second biggest festival in Orissa, next to Car Festival of Puri.
- Another colourful festival is the Konark Dance Festival considered as the cultural mecca where eminent classical dancers and singers across the country participates to perform before the live audience in an open-air auditorium set on the backdrop of Konark Temple.
Year of Inscription: 1984https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/sun-temple-konarak/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/28104640/130116-Travel-Blog-897-1-UNESCO-enlisted-Sun-Temple-in-Konark-Konarak-India-1024x768.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/28104640/130116-Travel-Blog-897-1-UNESCO-enlisted-Sun-Temple-in-Konark-Konarak-India-150x150.jpgajay,travel,world heritage travel
Travel Info for Sun Temple, Konark
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Sun Temple, Konark View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Sun Temple, Konark View all
Recommendations for Sun Temple, Konark
- The Architecture - Nupur
- The Sun Temple, The Jagannath temple at Puri, Swargdar beach-Puri, Chandrabhaga beach- konarak, Enjoyable drive on the marine drive from Puri to Konark,"Khaja" prasad and sweets - Sanghamitra B. Jayant
- Sunrise and sunset at chandrabhaga Beach should be in the priority list - Aniket Kundu
- Architecture of the Sun temple - Bhushan Reddy
- Chilika Lake - Arushi Aggarwal
- Chandrabhaga beach view on the way to Konark from Puri - Iswarya Ram
- The sunrise at the beach - Ajay Reddy
Trivia from Sun Temple, Konark
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Sun Temple, Konark?
Events at or near Sun Temple, Konark
Know any events coming up at Sun Temple, Konark?List an event