Inaugurated in 1973, the Sydney Opera House is a great architectural work of the 20th century that brings together multiple strands of creativity and innovation in both architectural form and structural design. A great urban sculpture set in a remarkable waterscape, at the tip of a peninsula projecting into Sydney Harbour, the building has had an enduring influence on architecture. The Sydney Opera House comprises three groups of interlocking vaulted ‘shells’ which roof two main performance halls and a restaurant. These shell-structures are set upon a vast platform and are surrounded by terrace areas that function as pedestrian concourses. In 1957, when the project of the Sydney Opera House was awarded by an international jury to Danish architect Jørn Utzon, it marked a radically new approach to construction.
- 233 designs were submitted for the Opera House design competition held in 1956.
- The entire site covers an area of 5.798 hectares and eight Boeing 747s could sit wing to wing on the site.
- The Concert Hall Grand Organ is the largest mechanical organ in the world, with 10,154 pipes and which took 10 years to complete.
Year of Inscription: 2007
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Sydney Opera House! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Sydney Opera House.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/sydney-opera-house/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115131/2270221225_43dca05aa3_b-1024x488.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115131/2270221225_43dca05aa3_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Sydney Opera House
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Photos and Proofs from Sydney Opera House View all
Travelers Who Have Visited Sydney Opera House View all
Recommendations for Sydney Opera House
- The New Years celebration - mitchell phelps
- If you enjoy getting amongst the action on a sunny weekend - have a drink at the Opera Bar outside along the wall of the harbour - Shelly Duncan
- watch an opera - Kamana Sharma
- Opera during Vivid sydney in May - Girija Harish
- sunset picnic at Kiribilli Point - Cathrin Eszbach
- A performance at the Opera House - Anne-Sophie Redisch
Trivia from Sydney Opera House
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Sydney Opera House?
Events at or near Sydney Opera House
Know any events coming up at Sydney Opera House?List an event