Discovered in 1944, this tomb dates from the Hellenistic period, around the end of the 4th century BC. It is located near Seutopolis, the capital city of the Thracian king Seutes III, and is part of a large Thracian necropolis. The tholos has a narrow corridor and a round burial chamber, both decorated with murals representing Thracian burial rituals and culture. These paintings are Bulgaria’s best-preserved artistic masterpieces from the Hellenistic period.
- The murals found at this tomb site are considered as some of the best art work preserved in the Hellenistic world. Such is the importance of this treasure that the entire tomb is protected by a room entry being allowed only to scientists who can justify the need to visit in order to study the murals.
- The site was discovered by chance and thus its study was started only in 1944, which is the moment when the authorities showed a real interest not only in Bulgaria, but also for the entire Balkan area.
- The mural seen here of a touching farewell feast for a dead man and his wife is a priceless testimony of what it was believed in those times about death, about the pain that people felt when someone close was no longer among them.
Year of Inscription: 1979
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Thracian Tomb of Kazanlak! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Thracian Tomb of Kazanlak.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/thracian-tomb-of-kazanlak/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115142/3517896072_c75b65e133_z.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115142/3517896072_c75b65e133_z-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Thracian Tomb of Kazanlak
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Thracian Tomb of Kazanlak? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Thracian Tomb of Kazanlak
No photos here yet. Have you been to Thracian Tomb of Kazanlak?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Thracian Tomb of Kazanlak
Have you been to Thracian Tomb of Kazanlak? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Thracian Tomb of Kazanlak
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Thracian Tomb of Kazanlak? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Thracian Tomb of Kazanlak
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Thracian Tomb of Kazanlak?
Events at or near Thracian Tomb of Kazanlak
Know any events coming up at Thracian Tomb of Kazanlak?List an event