On the shores of the Mediterranean, Tipasa was an ancient Punic trading-post conquered by Rome and turned into a strategic base for the conquest of the kingdoms of Mauritania. It comprises a unique group of Phoenician, Roman, palaeochristian and Byzantine ruins alongside indigenous monuments such as the Kbor er Roumia, the great royal mausoleum of Mauretania.
- Around 70 kilometres from Algiers, Tipasa was founded about two thousand years ago by the Phoenicians.
- Set on three small hills overlooking the Mediterranean, the ruins of the ancient Roman city include a theatre, amphitheatre, basilicas, villas and forums, avenues, baths and fountains. The most impressive monument, the one that stokes the romantic side of our psyche, is the Kbor er Roumia, the great royal mausoleum of Mauritania, which houses the tomb of Cleopatra Selene II, daughter of the famous Cleopatra and Mark Antony.
- The modern city was founded in 1857 and offers nothing short of a paradise. Perhaps the only drawback is the fact that bikinis are banned out there.
Year of Inscription: 1982
Add world heritage to your travel plans – plan to visit Tipasa! Sign up on GoUNESCO to get travel advice, tips, partners and help with traveling to Tipasa.https://www.gounesco.com/heritage/sites/tipasa/https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115339/27135209_e7f85f6c8e_b-1024x768.jpghttps://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/gounesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/27115339/27135209_e7f85f6c8e_b-150x150.jpg
Travel Info for Tipasa
- •New Year´s Day – 1 January •Epiphany Eve – 6th January •Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – March/April •Walpurgus Night – April 30 •Labour Day – 1st May Swedish National Day – 6th June •Whit Monday, Midsummer´s Eve – June •All Saint’s Eve – October/November •Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - December 24 – 25 •New Year´s Eve – December 31
- Miss Havisham
- Rupert Campbell-Black
- Julien SorelWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam BrownWilliam Brown
- No holidays other then the winters when the sea cannot be traveled
- Nigel Molesworth
- Harriet M Welsch
- Oskar Schell
- Elinor Dashwood
Sorry, we don't have curated information here yet.
Have you been to Tipasa? Share your travel stories
Photos and Proofs from Tipasa
No photos here yet. Have you been to Tipasa?share your photos
Travelers Who Have Visited Tipasa
Have you been to Tipasa? Share travel photos
Recommendations for Tipasa
Sorry, we do not have any traveller recommendations here yet.
Have you been to Tipasa? Share Recommendations
Trivia from Tipasa
Sorry, we do not have any trivia for here yet.
Have you been to Tipasa?
Events at or near Tipasa
Know any events coming up at Tipasa?List an event